[GRASS-user] Defining location/mapset

Luis Lisboa luislisboa1975 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:07:24 EST 2009

Hello people

I'm planning to use GRASS but I have one question about location/mapset
organization.
I'm going to do some classification and image processing for a certain
region of Spain at 3 different levels: local, regional and national. This
different scales have different scale definition with higher scale
definition for local and lower for national (1:1000000). I will use
different satellite images for different scales but some vectorial (e.g.
roads) will be used for all three scales. National scale includes all
country, regional only a certain region and local (a specific and very small
area).
According to GRASS database and common structure I will store my data at a
GISDBASE. Within this directory, GRASS GIS data are organized by projects.
Since its location is defined by its coordinate system, map projection and
geographic boundaries my question is: Should I have a different location for
each scale? I would say so, right? If that is the case, I would define
mapsets as different data sources or produced maps.

Thanks all,

Luis Lisboa