[GRASS-user] Importing Converted Points File

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 28 12:27:54 EST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Generally: If you have suggestions to improve the manual pages, please
> don't hesitate to suggest text replacements/additions!

Markus,

   I'll do that. It was my reading too quickly rather than any ambiguity in
the man page.

   Next problem:

GRASS 6.4.0svn (sitesLCC):/usr4/grassbase > v.in.ascii
input=/usr4/keypoints/sites_lcc.txt output=sites format=point columns='x
double precision, y double precision, name varchar(24)' x=1 y=2
Scanning input for column types...
Maximum input row length: 47
Maximum number of columns: 3
Minimum number of columns: 3
ERROR: x column is not of number type

and here's the input data file:

longitude|latitude|name
-5056134.11|5898037.45|name 1
-5057005.89|5898228.79|name 2
-5057306.14|5899149.81|name 3

   It must again be something I did incorrectly in either the re-projection
or specifying the v.in.ascii command. I'm not seeing it, however.

TIA,

Rich