[GRASS-user] problem importing .adf format with r.in.gdal

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 08:50:44 EDT 2009

Tim Holland wrote:
> But when I try exactly the same code with the higher
> resolution version,
> >r.in.gdal input=/Users/usr/datasets/c_1km/hdr.adf
> output=IPCC_Carbon_1km --o -o
> I get
> WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
> and it will not import.

in grass 6.5 and 7 r.in.gdal has a new -l flag to get around
that. GRASS in lat/lon mode will refuse to accept e.g. +91 as
a valid latitude. If georeferencing does not exist it uses
pixel/cell values as north and east, and if there are more than
90 rows you get an error.

> I tried using gdal_translate because that fixed a problem I
> had before with 'illegal latitude for north'
> >gdal_translate -of GTiff -a_ullr 180W 90N 180E 90S
> src_dataset=/Users/timholland/c_1km/hdr.adf
> dst_dataset=IPCC_Carbon_1km
> But I get the message
> ERROR 4: `src_dataset=/Users/timholland/c_1km/hdr.adf' does
> not exist in the
> file system, and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

I don't know why, but you will have to fix the gdal_translate
problem. Perhaps just pass it
 src_dataset=/Users/timholland/c_1km
instead of the full .adf filename? check the www.GDAL.org
supported formats page for help with that type of data.

Hamish