[GRASS-user] Problem GRASS 6.4 RC5-3 freezing on Leopard; Snow Leopard

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 14 17:45:52 EDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Kurt Springs wrote:

> I am having a problem with GRASS on OS 10.5.8.  When I launch a
> project, GRASS freezes when I resize the Map window by dragging the
> corner (which I have done in the past) it freezes.  I can resize
> using the green resize but on the window (the one next to the red
> close window button and the amber put window in dock button) and it
> works fine.  But the moment I try to resize by using the corner, it
> refreshes a few times but freezes.  I can't access menus or scroll.
> Interesting point, in the GIS Manager window, the Map Layers for
> Display 1 portion of the window runs into the bottom portion were
> the layer is chosen and set up. You can see the layer icon and the
> check box, but not the text describing the layer.  It is like this
> before it freezes.

Working for me.  Have you updated anything since the last time it
worked?  Which Python are you using?

> As a point of interest, I have installed Snow leopard on my lap
> top.  GRASS froze when I tried to resize it first, but when I opened
> my map file first, populating the Map Layers, it worked fine.  I did
> get an error code when I started up:
>
> Last login: Fri Sep 11 10:38:37 on ttys000
> kurt-springss-macbook-pro:~ kurtsprings2$ '/Applications/
> GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'; exit
> Rebuilding Addon HTML manual pages index...
> Rebuilding Addon menu...
> 2009-09-11 11:12:11.503 osascript[633:903] Error loading /Library/
> ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit
> Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/
> Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did
> find:
> 	/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/
> Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
> osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/
> ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable
> handlers.

This part is expected - all the old Applescript additions are 32bit,
which won't load in 64bit apps.

> Warning: No Python 2.5 found, needed by wxPython.
>          The wxPython GUI may not work properly.
> Cleaning up temporary files ...
>
> This was from my lap top running 10.6.1.

The Python detection on startup is broken for Snow, because it's
expecting 2.5 but finding 2.6.  It will still try to run the GUI in
2.6, which may work, except that the wxnvzi and vdigit probably won't
because they are built explicitly for 2.5.  The other problem, even if
you do force GRASS to use Python 2.5, is that even the system 2.5
executable is now 64bit, while wxpython is 32bit.

I'm surprised the GUI ran for you at all - besides the 64bit problem,
I've had a problem with the reexec function that restarts with pythonw
(needed by wxpython), it fails quietly, no GUI.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.