[GRASS-user] High resolution dem

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Thu Aug 5 02:38:49 EDT 2010

Yesterday I received a note off list which pointed me to an error I made
when calculated the elevation

> If you used r.mapcalc, make sure to divide by 100000.0 and not 100000
> in order to get DCELL output, otherwise the result will be integer
> with terraces, as in the aspect map, particularly on 5m horizontal
> resolution.

Now I have a nice aspect map :-)

What would be the best approach to calculate a dtm for a contour map
where large parts miss elevation data? I 've uploaded an example on our
server:

http://www.gis-hosting.lu/static/img/grass/no_contours.png

Since the algorythm from r.surf.contour takes much longer when there are
large gaps or no elevation information is present, there should be soem
kind of solution. My idea is to take elevation data from srtm or aster
data and create contours from that data and patch it into the finer
contour map. Any other ideas?

Many thanks

Frank

--