[GRASS-user] r.stream.extract Montgomery

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Thu Aug 5 10:35:24 EDT 2010

stephen sefick pisze:
> I would like to use the Montgomery method to extract streams (exp~2
> from the paper).  What should the threshold value be?  And in general
> what should the threshold value be?  I am working in the southeastern
> coastal plain (USA), which is characterized by low gradient (if this
> helps).
for flat areas Montgomery's method is not a good option. Generally that
method was created and tested on areas with gradient > 5%.
>  I am using 1m resolution LIDAR data.  I would like to extract
> the most realistic map of streams that I can.
Chmmm... what you mean realistic? Maybe use existing stream network will
be the best solution?
For coastal plains where is no real vallyes the r.watershed's treeshold
with -b option seems to be best option