[GRASS-user] v.dissolve - is this a bug?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 16 04:25:43 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin:
>> > The killer is that it isn't reliable - sometimes it works, sometimes it
>> > fails, and I can't tell why!
>
>> Always on the same machine, the same binary and the same map?
>
> Markus, Richard,
>
> in the past I witnessed some strange randomness myself. Can't find the post
> anymore (where Markus was referring to Heisenberg or someone's
> uncertainty theory?).

You mean "Heisenbug":

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
[ .. referring to memory corruption ...]

> It doesn't help that such bugs often fail to manifest if the program
> is run under a debugger (colloquially referred to as a "Heisenbug", in
> reference to the quantum mechanics principle that simply observing a
> system can change its behaviour).

So far we are far away from such a bug, also since v.dissolve is simply a
script. First we need to obtain answers to above questions.

Markus