[GRASS-user] Opensource and pretty maps design anybody?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 07:01:49 EDT 2010

I think that of all open source GIS, gvSIG currently has the
most advanced interactive map production facilities:

  http://www.oadigital.net/software/gvsigoade

It has very advanced labeling modes, flexible symbology and
symbol levels, and also comes with a complete map layout GUI.

The version above also comes with integrated GRASS GIS 6.4, so
you can directly map your GRASS data into a gvSIG data view
and map layout.

My colleagues have informed me that they can produce high-quality
maps by exporting to PS/PDF and then doing the final retouching
in Inkscape (of which the latest version is due any day now).

Best,

Ben