[GRASS-user] Flow Direction Map Question (r.stream.extract)

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Wed Aug 18 14:08:36 EDT 2010

stephen sefick pisze:
> I am trying to use a direction map from taudem with the r.stream
> modules.  I think the problem may be that -8 to 8 is the range of
> value in the r.stream extract version and 1-8 in the taudem version.
> I can generate one with r.stream extract with the flow accumulation
> and the filled DEM from taudem.  The raster stream network are very
> similar, but not totally the same.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated

Taudem and r.watershed (and r.stream also) uses different direction coding

If you want to use any network modeling software it shall use the same
data.  Both direction and stream map must always match. However
r.stream.extract can use any accumulation map including external
software. You can use DEM and accum map created with Taudem (for example
Dinf or D8-LFD) next generate network and direction map using
r.stream.extract

HTH
J.