[GRASS-user] Re: BAnk and ditch symbols in grass (or other Open Source GIS)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:54:37 EDT 2010

Michael wrote:
> I wonder if an enterprising programmer could start with the
> d.rast.arrow code and use it to allow different symbols than
> arrows?

FYI I am already well underway on that, have half-written a new
module called d.barb. Primarily for drawing wind barbs on met
maps, but also allows things like straws instead of arrows.

input is either from a raster map array like d.rast.arrow, or
a vector map with direction and magnitude taken from the points'
attribute table.

It seems question at hand is how to add variable length+density
hatch lines on vector lines. I imagine this could be possible for
PostScript for ps.map, but probably not for GRASS 6.x display
drivers (I recall that even dashed lines had to be reverted in
the past there).

Hamish