[GRASS-user] v.lidar.* for extracting building footprints

Wickes wickestheweakestgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 04:02:21 EDT 2010

I'm trying to extract building outlines from LIDAR data. I have both a DSM
and DTM (not created by me / GRASS) data and have created a normalized DSM
from these.

I now want to extract building footprints from the DSM i.e. create a
polygons of the buildings from the LIDAR. I've removed vegetation from the
nDSM with a classification of aerial data.

So my question, is it possible to use the the region growing algorithm to
now extract the building outlines? The v.lidar.* tools seems geared toward
filtering the LIDAR (i.e. to get a DTM) so I'm not sure if what I want to do
is applicable here.

I've already tried to get the footprints using a threshold on the nDSM and
I'm not satisfied with the results.