[GRASS-user] Displaying layers - GRASS 6.4.0RC7 with MSYS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 03:45:48 EDT 2010

Helmut wrote:
>     GRASS 6.4> d.rast map=myelevation
> PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: FALSE
> PNG: collecting to file: map.png,
> GRASS_WIDTH=640, GRASS_HEIGHT=480
>  100%
> FEHLER: PNG: couldn't open output file map.png

make sure you have write-permissions in the current directory.

e.g. if you are blocked from writing to C:\ as the non-administrator, then
writing to C:\map.png will fail. But if you cd to your user Desktop dir
for example, it should then work.  ?

or perhaps it is some other bug, but the above is worth testing first.

fwiw I removed the path from the GRASS> prompt on wingrass as it gets very
long there, and the DOS box is mostly locked at 80 columns wide AFAICT.
Hopefully the pwd problem does not pop up everyday & we can leave it simple.
(I'd argue that running d.* commands from the command line is advanced usage
for WinGRASS)

Hamish