[GRASS-user] Best format for exporting raster data

Sylvain Maillard sylvain.maillard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 10:56:00 EDT 2010

Perhaps can you add an extra loop in your scripts for processing your data:
1 - extract the tarball
2 - import the raster in R
3 - and then delete the temporary uncompressed mapset.
it will take a little bit more space but just for one mapset at a time, and
I don't thing the process will be much slower than to access the files
directly into the compressed tarball ...

you can also buy more hard drive :D

if you make some benchmark test between different solution I will be
interreted in the results, I'm also working on a huge amound of raster data
within GRASS and R ...

regards,
Sylvain Maillard

Doctorant en Sciences de l'Environnement
Laboratoire Chimie Provence - UMR 6264 / Université de Provence
la Tour du Valat - Centre de recherche pour la conservation des zones
humides méditerranéennes
Le Sambuc
13200 Arles
France