[GRASS-user] What scripting language should I learn?

Catlike cogreg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:23:49 EST 2010

I am brand new to GRASS. I am just learning QGIS now, and GRASS seems (from
the forum posts) to be useful if not quite essential with QGIS.
I have no idea what most of the answers (or the questions!) mean on these
fora, QGIS nor GRASS. It looks like I need to learn how to write computer
scripts. OK -- resources being limited, which language do you think I should
focus on learning? I hear about Python (in QGIS), R, SQL, ... Can't learn
them all! So I need to choose one, right?
My GIS experience is limited. I got a 24-semester-unit, two-year GIS
certificate, but that was six years ago, the program was not too good, and I
haven't used it at all since. (It was 95% ESRI-based, the rest TNTmips.)
Thank you.