[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii problems when creating 3d vector GRASS 6.5

John Tate john.tate at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 6 13:03:34 EST 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 17:31:36 stephen sefick wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repost- I used the wrong email address and didn't
> know if it would get through.
>
> I am trying to import a 3-d vector that will eventually be
> interpolated with v.surf.idw.
>
> I have GRASS 6.5 compiled from scratch with the following config script:
>
> #ubuntu 9.10 configuration for Grass 6.5
> CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
>     --with-libs=/usr/lib64 \
>     --with-cxx --with-freetype=yes \
>     --with-postgres=no --with-sqlite=yes --enable-largefile=yes \
>     --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4 \
>     --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
>     --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.6-config \
>     --with-wxwidgets=yes \
>     --with-nls --enable-largefile \
>     --with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
>     --with-readline \
>     --with-cairo
>
> I am using the following to import the ascii file:
>
> v.in.ascii -z --overwrite input=a_04_xyz output=test z=3 fs=" "
>
> This is a the head of the file:
>
> 2039043.000 540351.010 150.150
>
> 2039052.970 540351.010 150.480
>
> 2039062.980 540351.010 150.810
>
> 2039072.980 540351.010 151.140
>
> 2039082.990 540351.010 151.470
>
> 2039093.000 540351.010 151.790
>
> 2039102.970 540351.010 151.790
>
> 2039112.980 540351.010 151.790
>
> 2039122.980 540351.010 151.790
>
> 2039132.990 540351.010 151.470
>
> 2039143.000 540351.010 151.140
>
> The problem is that I get this message when I try and query to layer
> to make sure that it is indeed a 3-d vector:
>
> Database connection for vector map <test at PERMANENT> is not defined in
> DB file. You can define new connection in 'Manage layers' tab.
>
> Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> kind regards,

Hi Stephen

Looks like you are importing DEM or last/first return LiDAR data?

Use this before v.in.ascii to connect the database:

db.connect driver=dbf database=$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/ -p

Then use the -b flag in v.in.ascii to prevent topology if it is a big file. If
it is a DEM/LiDAR data, I have not had to use the -z flag. Depends on the data
and what you want to use it for.

Also:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR

Hope that helps