[GRASS-user] Searching Docs about 3D geological modelisation

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 05:04:12 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
>> material. There is no interpolation algorithm in GRASS currently which
>> can
>> handle that sort of data well.
>
>   So what is needed is a political algorithm. :-)

That's actually right: given the presence of n different
layer types in the vicinity of an empty voxel, the algorithm
would need to decide by some sort of "majority vote"
which type to assign to that voxel.

>   Kidding aside, I suspect that a fuzzy interpolation algorithm would solve
> the problem.

How? You could make the interpolated value depend on a
fuzzy set member function, I suppose, but the situation
here is actually so well defined that I think a probabilistic
approach would be preferable. Since each voxel can only
store one value, a second output map could store the
classification probability. That may be very useful
for visualization (you could show voxels with little
probability hazier).

Ben

> Rich

Benjamin Ducke