[GRASS-user] Running Grass Remotely

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jan 11 17:56:35 EST 2010

stephen sefick wrote:

> I would like to run grass remotely on a server running ubuntu.  I
> would like to be able to forward the X11 to my desktop running ubuntu
> 9.10 over the network.  Any help or pointers to reading material would
> be greatly appreciated.

Connecting to the server with "ssh -Y ..." should forward X11
connections back to the desktop system automatically (so long as this
hasn't been disabled in the server's sshd configuration). This is
generally simpler than configuring the desktop system to allow remote
X clients to connect directly.

The server still needs all of the libraries which would be required to
run GRASS on a desktop system, e.g. X libraries, Tcl/Tk or wxPython
for the GUI, GDAL and PROJ for GRASS itself, etc.