[GRASS-user] Error while adding north-arrow in GRASS6.4

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 17:40:39 EST 2010

António wrote:
> I have a location with a region with the following
> characteristics:
>
> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
> When I try to add north arrow/Scale to the map I get a
> ERROR-Window with the following:
> Error: b.barscale does not work with a latitude-longitude
> location

A scale-bar simply does not & can not work with lat/lon.
Distance scale is not the same on the x and y axes.
Use d.grid instead.

See the help page.

(there was an idea to change the units to degrees/min/sec for
lat/lon scalebars a while back but it hasn't been implemented
yet)

> And the following error is printed in the command output:
> *Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File
> "c:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-6.4.0svn\etc\wxpython\gu
> i_modules\gdialogs.py", line 416, in OnOK
>
> # close dialog
>  File "C:\GRASS6\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\mapdisp.py",
> line
> 785, in UpdateMap
>
> for img in self.GetOverlay():
>  File "C:\GRASS6\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\mapdisp.py",
> line
> 647, in GetOverlay
>
> if os.path.isfile(overlay.mapfile) and
> os.path.getsize(overlay.mapfile):
>  File "C:\GRASS6\Python25\lib\ntpath.py", line 283, in
> isfile
>
> st = os.stat(path)
> TypeError
> :
> coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
> *
>
> Is this a bug or is this something that would be expected?
> If it's a bug I will add to the trac

all that extra noise isn't nice, it should give the error and
quietly go away.

Hamish