[GRASS-user] Set language in Linux

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jan 28 20:06:18 EST 2010

Gilbert Ferrara wrote:

> At /usr/share/i18n/locales/ I have several Files so that might not be the
> problem. Or is it? (Now I'm a bit lost in this locations vs Translations).

There's more to it than that. Typically, the files in
/usr/share/i18n/locales are source files, which are compiled with
localedef to generate /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive. You can use
"localedef --list-archive" to list which locales are defined in the
archive.

That defines everything *except* for translations: text encoding,
numeric format, date format, monetary format, collation rules, etc.
Translations are handled separately, as each application has its own
messages catalogues. But even if an application has a message
catalogue for a particular locale, it won't be used if the base locale
isn't defined.