[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 07:29:51 EDT 2010

Bulent Arikan wrote:
> I am running 6.5 svn on Snow Leopard. I am trying to import
> points and tracks from a Garmin device (connected via USB).
> Using GPS Babel (v 1.4.1 for Mac), I prepared several files
> (.txt, .gdb, and .gpi) and tried to import these using
> v.in.gpsbabel (UTM wgs84 location) –k flag checked–. I am
> getting this error message:
>
> ERROR: The gpsbabel program was not found, please install it
> first.http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net
> As silly as it sounds, I am not sure if GPS Babel needs
> installing. After the download, a disk image appeared and double
> clicking launched the program (i.e., the window that retrieves
> data from the device and writes files). I did not install
> anything because it launched and it seems to be working (i.e.,
> it writes files). I may be skipping some steps, so I will
> appreciate any suggestions.

the program needs to be in the system's search PATH in order
for GRASS to be able to find it. Open a Terminal and type
"echo $PATH" to see what that is. You might try to copy the
'gpsbabel' executable into /usr/local/bin/ and see if it finds
it then.

If you can type "gpsbabel" at a Terminal and have it produce
its help message / list of options, you're in business.

Hamish