[GRASS-user] EPSG code for KML

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 11:33:26 EDT 2010

Bulent wrote:
> I occasionally use Google Earth –GE– (kml files) and I am aware of the
> fact that there is a bit of distortion (i.e., metric offset) between GE
> and other projections for a variety of reasons. I am wondering if anyone
> knows whether there is an EPSG code for KML format so that I can create
> a LOCATION in Grass using this code and avoid/minimize such distortions
> when I import vector files.

It is fundamentally broken, do not use it for serious GIS work. It is
only valid for visual use and saving cpu cycles on large deployments.
(which is both acceptable and very important for folks like google)

(epsg initially refused to include it but finally caved to mass user
pressure)

but if you do want to use it, it's just the mercator projection with
a spherical ellipsoid using the WGS84's ellipsoid's major Earth radius
as the only sphere radius. quite simple to define.

Hamish