[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii problem

Bulent Arikan bulent.arikan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 05:09:27 EDT 2010

Dear List,

I have a tab-delimited text (.txt) file and I am experimenting with
importing points into GRASS (6.5 svn) in Snow Leopard.

Here is the content of the file:

675166.97 4450516.81 246 Orhan

675135.87 4450516.98 250 Osman

675156.68 4450501.48 250 Sehitlik

675155.74 4450560.93 243 SaatKulesi

675192.48 4450504.39 245 Kuledenilerisi

The first two columns are UTM (zone 36) east and north readings, the third
is the elevation and the last column is the explanation for each point.

In 'v.in.ascii' module, I specified point as the format and typed tab (I
also tried \t). I left x and y column numbers at default (1 for x, 2 for y),
I did not specify z or column definition.

Here is the error message i am getting:

Scanning input for column types...
Maximum input row length: 9
Maximum number of columns: 1
Minimum number of columns: 1
ERROR: y column number > minimum last column number
(incorrect field separator?)

* I tried importing this file without decimals at the end of each
coordinate, and used ' | ' instead of tab as delimiter. The result is the
same. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

--
BÜLENT