[GRASS-user] r.watershed segment_seek error

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:24:13 EDT 2010

Oops, forgot the list.

Chris Caveny-Cox wrote:
> I am attempting to process a mosaiced raster through r.watershed and
> it's erroring out fairly early in the process with the following command
> output
>

> segment_seek: Invalid argument
> Failed seek in segment file for index = 0 n = 13422 at col:row 24400:20000
> cseg_read_cell(): unable to segment put row for [sfdem at PERMANENT] in
> [PERMANENT]
> segment_seek: Invalid argument
> Failed seek in segment file for index = 0 n = 13422 at col:row 24400:20000
> cseg_read_cell(): unable to segment put row for [sfdem at PERMANENT] in
> [PERMANENT]
> segment_pagein: read EOF
> cseg_put(): could not write segment file
>  Subprocessfailed with exit code 1
> category information for [sfacc1k] in [PERMANENT] missing or invalid
> category information for [sfdr1k] in [PERMANENT] missing or invalid
> category information for [sfba1k] in [PERMANENT] missing or invalid
> category information for [sfstr1k] in [PERMANENT] missing or invalid
> category information for [sfh1k] in [PERMANENT] missing or invalid
>

> Realizing it's a fairly large raster (736557332 cells)

Large File Support (LFS) is needed for such a large raster.
Unfortunately, LFS for GRASS is not yet available on Windows. Under
Linux, GRASS must be configured with --enable-largefile. The warning
"segment_pagein: read EOF" lets me suggest that your GRASS version was
not configured and compiled with LFS. I think but I am not sure that
LFS is automatically there on Linux 64bit. So, on Linux, is it a 64bit
OS, have you compiled GRASS with --enable-largefile, what version
exactly (revision number if not RC6) are you using, and is there
enough disk space available where the GRASS database is located
(restart GRASS to clean up temporary files)?

Markus M