[GRASS-user] problems in load data

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 13:40:43 EDT 2010

Susana wrote:
> I am novice in Grass. I created a Gis
> Data Directory, Project location and mapset but, I can not
> visualized data (shapefile).  I selected: File / Import
> Vector Map / Impor vector data using OGR, after process it
> indicates the following: "Bad file descrptores: Files".
> I reviewed documents but I do not know what is my error.How
> can I copy data in mapset directory?

Hello,

it seems you have found a bug in the software. Which version of
GRASS is it? (if a nightly-build version, which revision?, if
not a nightly-build version does the 6.4 nightly build fix it?)
Which version of Windows?
Is this from the OSGeo4W installer or the stand-alone one?

apparently something does not like "C:\Program Files\..." and
is treating it like two things, "C:\Program" and "Files\...",
and then getting upset that the file of the broken name can not
be found.

I seem to recall some mention of this in the bug tracker or in
the mailing list archives from the last month or three.

a cheap fix is to reinstall grass in a directory without
spaces (e.g. C:\GRASS-6.4\ ...), but it doesn't help us solve
the problem for others. :)

regards,
Hamish