[GRASS-user] Installing r.area

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:41:16 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to use r.area. For that I need to, of course, install it. As I've
never compiled and installed anything before, these questions might be kind
of stupid... So I apologize. Yes, I've read
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Compiled_C_modules
but although I tried what it asked me to do I didn't get the results I
expected. Here is what I tried on OpenSUSE 11.3, 32 bit:

1. Went to the GRASS AddOns Wiki-page
(http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns) and tried to add the various the
SVN repository to my repository directories in Yast (the OpenSUSE system
tool). Didn't work, which I think is one of those things that everybody'll
say "duh" about, but when I say "duh" in this case, it comes from my heart
because I'm dumb :P
2. Found the source codes of r.area (consisting of description.html, main.c
and Makefile), copied their content into files with matching names in my
home directory
3. Followed the instructions on
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install to compile and install C
add-ons (under the assumption that that's correct for r.area - sure looks
like it is). Got the following results:

- Hoping that the add-on was a binary (I know, I know...), I tried compiling
it with
make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/bin/grass64/
Result:
Makefile:11: /usr/bin/grass64//include/Make/Module.make: Not a directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/bin/grass64//include/Make/Module.make'.  Stop.

Okay. The computer spoke Latin to me. Noticing that it's got a path with two
slashes right after another after my input, I thought that perhaps it wasn't
finding the proper directory and tried it without the slash at the end:
make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/bin/grass64
Result:
Makefile:11: /usr/bin/grass64/include/Make/Module.make: Not a directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/bin/grass64/include/Make/Module.make'.  Stop.

Alright. No more double slash, but for all intents and purposes the same
message. So I then tried setting up an alias, not because I understand what
that means but because it was also suggested on the page:
alias gmake64='make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/bin/grass64/'
Computer seemed to like this and gave no reply. However, the next line was
ready, so I guess the alias was set up. Then I tried installing it:
make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/bin/grass64/ install
Result:
Makefile:11: /usr/bin/grass64//include/Make/Module.make: Not a directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/bin/grass64//include/Make/Module.make'.  Stop.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Thinking that I might be dealing with
source code that still needed to be prepared, I entered:
./configure
To which my computer replied:
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

No luck. Can anybody help me? I know this is a relatively simple question,
but I don't seem to be able to make anything of the online help texts.
Thanks!!

Best,
Daniel