[GRASS-user] Lake modelling using volume interpolation (v.vol.rst and Paraview)

Craig Wilson craiging619 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:06:25 EDT 2010

Re: Markus,

Having created a DEM of the depths for the bottom surface and used the outline as the top again, r3.out.vtk now gives me a 3D model in Paraview which seems to represent the DEM surface (including extrapolated height values outwith the lake, which I can solve when I get the Mask to work properly). Selecting to view the model as a Volume throws up the error message:

"Cannot volume render since no point (or cell) data available."

Creating the file again in r3.out.vtk, but this time with some of the carbon data included as a G3D map, creates the same structure, which resembles voxel form. However, selecting to view it was a Volume starts a loading process which takes over 3 hours (I still haven't seen it finish yet!), with the message 'OpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper' at the bottom and a loading bar which goes from 0 to 100 then starts again on a loop.

Using v.vol.rst with the carbon data, I used this command line:

"v.vol.rst input=Seasonal_0411_DIC at PERMANENT wcolumn=dbl_3 elev=G3D_0411_DIC_2707"

This produced the error message:

"ERROR: Key column type is not integer"

The info for the Carbon file is as follows:

"v.info -c Seasonal_0411_DIC

INTEGER|cat

DOUBLE PRECISION|dbl_1

DOUBLE PRECISION|dbl_2

INTEGER|int_1

DOUBLE PRECISION|dbl_3

Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 1:"

The carbon data is contained within dbl_3, with dbl_1, dbl_2 and int_1 being the x/y/z coordinates.

Re: Hamish - Thanks for the advice. I'll try those modules out today.

Craig