[GRASS-user] elevation profile

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Wed Jul 28 15:48:16 EDT 2010

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I did not try all the methods.  One
method that did work (and was mentioned more than once) was basically:

v.to.points  (convert 2d lines to points)
v.out.ascii (export coordinates to txt file)
cat "coords.txt" | r.profile (input text file coords to r.profile)

However, this worked for only one line/path at a time (by using SQL where
clause with an attribute unique to each path) and I had a shapefile with
about 20 paths.  Likely this could have been scripted to process
efficiently.  Unfortunately, I'm still learning the basics of GRASS and did
not want to get into scripting yet!

I went with SAGA in the end.  Thanks Ricardo for that suggestion!   It
worked great and had exactly what I wanted.  Also, it's a good idea to start
with a clean line vector dataset, regardless of which method you choose.  It
took a fair bit of time to snap/merge several line segments together to get
my paths to come out right.  Thanks again.

- John

John Callahan, Geographic Information Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware