[GRASS-user] Overlapping vector areas

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Jul 29 14:28:39 EDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 06:38 PM, David Townshend wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying the generate watersheds for several outlets by looping
> over r.water.outlet in a python script (attached). The basin procedure
> is that for each outlet point (read using v.info -t), my script runs
> r.water.outlet, r.to.vect and v.patch, to combine the watersheds into
> a simgle vector map. I am connecting the watersheds to the outlet
> points by setting the category value in the output from r.to.vect,
> i.e. before patching. The trouble is that some of the watersheds
> overlap, e.g. where an outlet lies inside another watershed. v.patch
> doesn't seem to handle this too well, and the result is that I have a
> vector map with a few areas, a few boundaries, a few centroids and a
> lot of errors.
>
> Is there a better way of approaching this? And how do I allow overlapping areas?

No, since GRASS enforces topology, there's no such thing as overlapping
polygons.  If you run r.water.outlet twice in the same stream network,
you will get one basin that's a sub-catchment of a larger basin. If you
try to patch these two vector maps, assuming the patch succeeds, and
there are no topology errors, you'll get the smaller basin as one
polygon, and the larger basin with the smaller one "cut out" as the
second polygon.

I've encountered a similar problem to yours: many small overlaps or gaps
along the boundary between two adjacent basins created by two runs of
r.water.outlet.
I don't know of any easy solution, other than using the options included
with "v.clean" to remove small areas and snap boundaries that are within
a given threshold. THen after v.clean, there will often still be a few
errors that need to be ironed out manually with v.digit.

HTH,
--
Micha
> Regards