[GRASS-user] Problems with v.what.rast

Rebecca Bennett rabennett at ymail.com
Tue Jun 8 10:39:59 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I'm having some trouble copying the values from a raster image (Dartmoor1) to a series of vector points (Contour_points - created from a contour vector map). When I try to use v.what.rast I get the following error:

v.what.rast vector=Contour_points at PERMANENT raster=dartmoor1 at PERMANENT layer=1 column=level
More points (644858) of category 1, value set to 'NULL'
1 categories loaded from table
1 categories loaded from vector
0 categories from vector missing in table
1 duplicate categories in vector
1 records updated
0 update errors

I think that this is an attribute table issue. I have followed the instructions in Example B http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/v.what.rast.html but  get the following message

v.to.db map=Contour_points option=cat
Reading features...
Updating database...
1 categories read from vector map (layer 1)
1 records selected from table (layer 1)
1 categories read from vector map exist in selection from table
0 records updated/inserted (layer 1)
Record (cat 1) already exists (not inserted)

I have also tried creating and attaching a new table but get the same result for v.what.vect. Any ideas welcome, thanks for reading!

Rebecca