[GRASS-user] v.net.iso - service area

David Mahoney david.mahoney at timberline.ca
Wed May 12 14:49:52 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 08:16 +1000, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> David,
>
> I'd just like to confirm the process ...
>
> 1. Obtain points you wish to use as the service area edge nodes (I will
> call this vector "Limit").
> 2. Run v.delaunay to create a vector that includes the outline
> (map=Delaunay).
> 3. Run v.net to connect Limit to Delaunay (map=Network)
> 4. Run v.net.salesman on Network to create the final service area map.
>
> This seemed to work fine for me in Spearfish.
>
> One question - I created the "point set" manually. But if have a network
> of lines, what's the best way to create a point vector from the line ends?

As I recall, I parsed the output of v.build using the dump option, and
passed that into v.extract.

There are probably a bunch of edge cases where this approach fails
though. The one that comes to mind is the case where there is a section
of a service area that is strongly convex that protrudes into another
service area.

David

David Mahoney                   GIS Analyst
david.mahoney at tecogroup.ca      TECO Natural Resource Group
Tel: (250) 562-2628 ext 232     Fax: (250) 562-694
1579 9th Ave, Prince George BC, Canada V2L 3R8 http://www.tecogroup.ca