[GRASS-user] export as eps/svg ind grass64rc6 - grass7 ??

Francesco Mirabella mirabell at unipg.it
Wed May 26 05:50:16 EDT 2010

Hi,
sorry if I came back on this topic a bit late with respect to the
messages below, but I think it's a quite crucial one and like to know if
users/developers share similar needs.
I have just had to struggle with a arc* user for printing an map and to
try to convince him/her to switch to GRASS....

I also recall some "dilemma" provocative messages in 2008 like:
I come here with a question/dilemma...
Why ps.map lacks so much user support?
A lot of people know about GRASS all over the world, but nearly nobody
use it, since nearly any software in the world is less difficult to
produce maps.
GRASS is a wonderful tool for analysis, but it fails to produce the
ultimate result: a map.

The point is how one can produce an output map which contains at least:
1. a raster map
2. some vector with labels
3. scale

One should be able to decide about:
1. map scale,
2. paper format,
3. file format

I think that at the present development level, the user should be able
to make such a map from the GUI. The output map vector elements should
also be editable in skencil, inkscape, openoffice, etc.. with the raster
as a base (e.g. a dem or a raster topography)

I am aware that the present-day wxpython map display allows to produce
bitmaps (.png, .tif, etc..) and that the things in the list above can be
drawn off ps.map - ps.output. However at present one has to load all the
info into a "mapping instructions file" which has to be changed each
time one wants to map a different map. In the oldtcltk this issue was
overcome by the possibility to create the .txt script file directly from
the tcltk display window.
I wonder if it is planned to create a sort of printing layout which can
allow the user to easily output "a map".

many thanks in advance
Francesco

Hamish wrote:
> Achim wrote:
>
>> I know that it is not possible in grass65,
>
> no my friend, it is available:   d.out.file
>
>    format   Graphics file format
>

> And of course v.out.svg.
>
> See d.mon for details on the Cairo and PS (PostScript) drivers
> which are another way to go.
>
> and of course ps.map or ps.output PostScipt [-> PDF] -> Inkscape is
> great if you need print quality output.
>

>> but can one export the graphics display to svg or eps in grass7
>> (from gui-display)?
>
> there is a save-as pull down menu in the map display. I can't remember
> what's on it except that GeoTiff is on the planned feature list.
>
>> Alternatively I would like to load my workspace settings to
>> a xmon in order to export from there. Is that possible?
>> (I really dont want to rebuild the layer settings from the
>> shell again ;-) )
>
> GRASS 7 doesn't have xmons, but the PS and Cairo drivers there are
> much better than in GRASS 6. (mostly the xmons hold them back in grass 6)
>

> good luck,
> Hamish

Francesco Mirabella,
Geologia Strutturale e Geofisica
Universita' di Perugia,
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra,
Piazza Universita' 1, 06100 Perugia (Italy)
tel: ++39.(0)75.584.7948
fax: ++39.(0)75.585.2603
skype: francesco.mirabella
web: http://www.unipg.it/~mirabell/