[GRASS-user] Re: how to read 3 bands as single band image using grass gis

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Nov 5 20:04:07 EDT 2010

bharath s wrote:

>          i want to read an image (tiff ) file from grass ...if i run
> r.in.gdal it is coming as 3 bands ...please help me how can i read as a
> single band  i have tried Tiff , Envi image , HDF and Ntiff formats,Ascii
> but it came 3 bands......

You can read a single band by using the band= parameter.

If you want to generate a map whose categories represent a composite
colour image, you can use r.composite, but this is usually a bad idea,
as you're very limited in the kind of processing which you can perform
on the result. Also, unless you accept a reduced colour depth, any
process which requires the colours (e.g. display) will be slow.