[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS Promotion Team

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 04:34:53 EST 2010

Hello all

I made a version of the GRASS poster in Inkscape. I tweaked a little
bit the layout
(just changed the position of some parts) and included Daniel's
changes in English.

Since the zip file with the svg (14Mb) and the pdf (10Mb) is a bit
big, I put in here:

http://www.igc.usp.br/pessoais/guano/temp/grass_poster_A0_inkscape_svg_pdf.zip

See what you think.

best

Carlos

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:49, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just commenting on the software.
>
> Inkscape is a vector graphics editor based on SVG (for single pages
> currently), similar to Illustrator or CorelDraw (although those may also
> support multipage documents).
>
> Inkscape, does not, per se produce large files if you stay with text and
> vector graphics. The files can only get large if you embed a lot of raster
> graphics. Embedding raster files can result in large files.
>
> Scribus is more a DTP software than a graphics editor, similar to InDesign.
>
> LaTeX is an entirely different beast with it's own strengths, best suited
> for writing scientific papers and articles. I don't think it is very well
> suited to design posters.
>
> For posters, flyers, clipart and vector graphics I would go with Inkscape,
> for multipage brochures I would go with Scribus and for manuals I would go
> with LaTeX.
>
> Btw: Inkscape can be used to produce and edit vector graphics that can
> later be embedded in Scribus (as SVG) and in LaTeX (I think best as PDF or
> PNG, or maybe also SVG in more recent versions).
>
> Andreas
>
> On Sun, October 24, 2010 12:35 pm, Milena Nowotarska wrote:
>> Hi Carlos, Micha et al.
>>
>> Anyone who has a vision of a new catchy GRASS brochure, flayer or even
>> video commercial [1] is kindly asked to stood up and join the GRASS
>> Promotion Team [2].
>> We just gained a new contributor who is willing to proofread english
>> and german documents, welcome Daniel!
>> All the existing promotion materials are listed on the appropriate
>> wiki page [3].

>> Does Inkscape produce large files? I am asking because we already have
>> a very nice poster [4], translated to several languages, which weights
>> about 9MB for each language. Since it needs to be updated for every
>> GRASS stable release, Martin proposed to rewrite it in LaTeX to share
>> at least the graphics. If you could rewrite it for one language, I can
>> use the LaTeX layout and catch up with other languages.
>>
>> I think the software we will use for promotional materials is to be
>> discussed. For sure LaTeX will be the lightest and good to deal with
>> localization but it will not gain many contributors. For smaller
>> materials than the poster we might use other solutions.
>> Chip has proposed Scribus [5]. Since my knowledge of Scribus is that
>> it exists, I am going to read & try and waiting for your opinions.
>>
>> [1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass_movie_CERL_1987/
>> [2] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_promotion_team
>> [3] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Promotional_material
>> [4] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Promotional_material#GRASS_Poster
>> [5] http://www.scribus.net/
>>
>> Micha Silver wrote:
>>> Hello Milena:
>>> Maybe it's time for an article in the OSGeo Journal focusing on GRASS
>>> for
>>> Windows users?

> [...]

Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
http://www.igc.usp.br/pessoais/guano
http://lattes.cnpq.br/5846052449613692
Linux User #89721