[GRASS-user] Re: Exporting Vector data to SHP (v.out.ogr)- takes a lot of time

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 16:03:24 EST 2010

> Luis wrote:
> 1- My orioginal raster file has the following:
> Registering primiti 907000
> 907256 primitives registered

900k is a lot, but not crazy.

> 3527832 vertices registered
> Building areas...
> 321179 areas built

300k areas is not small, but it is not huge either.
> Exporting 321179 areas (may take some time)...
>
> And after 20 minutes it seems freezed

wait longer... maybe hours or overnight.
export to shapefile with v.out.ogr is known to be
quite slow.

are you sure it is frozen? check in process monitor
("top" on mac or linux, ctrl-alt-del on Windows)
if cpu usage by v.out.ogr is 100%, and how much
memory it is using. if it is frozen cpu will be 0%,
if it is still working cpu will be 100%.

> It this too much polygons?

perhaps. maybe resample raster to a coarser grid
or try running v.build.polylines on the vector map
prior to export.

Hamish