[GRASS-user] Questions Re. Grass63 and Fedora 13

Terry Duell tduell at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 2 23:22:23 EDT 2010

Hullo Hamish,

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:03:32 +1100, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

> for what it's worth, if built from source all of grass lives
> in one directory, with only a small wrapper startup script
> written to /usr/local/bin/. So it's not a source of too much
> filesystem clutter and easy to clean up. It could even live in
> your home dir.
>
> 6.4 is well worth the trouble of the upgrade..

OK, thanks for that advice.
I'll have a look a build from source and see how I go.

> Raster display is incredibly slow.

> probably your region resolution is set too fine. try 'g.region
> rast=map_of_interest -p'. try to keep things under 40000x40000,
> but for just looking at it on a monitor anything more than the
> display (say 1500x1200) is just going to slow you down.

OK, I hadn't thought of that...been away too long.

>> I have some datasets from Grass4 and Grass5, and have tried
>> to access them but Grass63 doesn't appear to recognise them
>> as legitimate datasets.
>
> In GRASS 6 the vector engine was replaced with a much more
> powerful version, and the format changed with it. There's a
> v.convert.all module which will convert all the old format
> vector maps to GRASS 6 format.
>
> Old point data (sites) have joined vector data now, use the
> v.in.sites.all modules to convert them. (or without the ".all"
> to just bring one map in)
>
> raster maps should still work as before.

The thing is that Grass63 doesn't see anything when I point it at the old
dataset directory, so none of the mapsets are available.
I will try a build of Grass64 and if the problem persists I will start a
new thread with a bit more detail.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
--