[GRASS-user] Rename Location using dbf driver

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:08:03 EDT 2010

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> ssefick wrote:
>> I would like to rename a couple of locations.  I am using the dbf driver
>> for the database.  Can I safely just rename the folder of the location?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephen,
>
> I think renaming is not enough. You have to "reconnect" the data bases
> afterwards. Check the "v.db.reconnect.all" module/manual. There are also older
> posts about that in the mailing list archive.

Renaming a GRASS location is with regard to where attribute tables are
stored similar to copying the whole GRASS database to a different
location, as frequently done when downloading GRASS sample databases
and extracting them to a location (=path) of your choice. You don't
have to reconnect the attribute tables, it works out of the box. This
is also true when renaming GRASS locations (unless you manually have
set attribute table connections to an absolute path and not to (for
dbf) $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/. The environment variables
$GISDBASE $LOCATION_NAME $MAPSET are retrieved every time an attribute
table is accessed. The reason is that GRASS location renaming, GRASS
database renaming, or GRASS database copying to a different path
should not break the attribute table connections.

Markus M