[GRASS-user] Unable to load gdal library error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 25 06:57:40 EDT 2010

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> It's strange cause I can use gdalinfo and gdal_translate on the SRTM
> tif tiles and last night I patched them using gdal_merge.py. Also,
> r.in.gdal works fine. And I can run r.info on the tiles imported using
> r.external. But I can't display them or query the values (r.what also
> gives ERROR: Unable to load GDAL library).

That error message indicates a failure to load the GDAL library at run
time via dlopen(). r.in.gdal is linked against GDAL, and r.info
doesn't need access to the raster data. You will only get the error
from modules which attempt to access the raster data for a "linked"
map created with r.external.

The code which loads the library attempts to dlopen() each of
following names in turn:

	libgdal.1.1.so
	gdal.1.0.so
	gdal.so.1.0
	libgdal.so.1
	libgdal.so

If none of the attempts succeed, you get the above error.

The library must be listed in /etc/ld.so.cache (generated by ldconfig)
or in one of the directories in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Also, it must have
complete dependency information, and all of its dependencies must be
satisfied.