Fwd: Re: [GRASS-user] Length of a political boundary

ambijat ambijat at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:25:31 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [GRASS-user] Length of a political boundary
Date: 	Mon, 04 Apr 2011 07:48:02 +0530
From: 	ambijat <ambijat at hotmail.com>
To: 	Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

No, Hamish,
This is not the case as I see it. My fundamental method is as follows:
1. in a 3x3 matrix of neighbours analysis I want to fit in one worthy
formula.
2. For every such matrix there are going to be at least 3 non-zero
values and 6 zero values.
3. as we know that c^2 = a^2 + b^2, i would be counting on a = elevation
difference between the two adjacent cells, and b = 90 meters, which is
the resolution of the cell.
4. So, c values for each such set of two adjacent cells can be
calculated, and a sum of all such values which are actually hypotenuse
values would give me more accurate value of the total length of the
boundary.

This is a kind of algorithm I have in mind. Anybody who can translate
into formula?
Thanks!

Ambrish