[GRASS-user] Rainfall interpolation for a time series

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 03:00:05 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have rainfall measurements from 6 gauges that I want to interpolate
to an areal value (a 'surface'), so that I can compare the the
interpolated gauge values to a satellite rainfall estimate that covers
a grid cell of 28kmx28km. Two of the gauges are outside, but close to
the border of the grid cell. Therefore, I also need to clip the
interpolated surface to the grid cell and to get the average of the
surface value in this clipped surface.

A search on Google revealed that v.vol.rst is probably a good choice
for interpolating the rainfall because it takes elevation into
account.

However, for each rain gauge I have 730 values representing a daily
measurement over two years. As output from GRASS, I need a text file
with the interpolated rainfall values for each day in my time series.
So, I was wondering if there is an 'easy' way to get my output without
creating 730 vectors and rasters?

Regards
Hanlie