[GRASS-user] r.terraflow for cost path analysis

Colin Wren colindwren at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 18:05:46 EST 2011

Thanks Markus, but unfortunately this module won't work either. The
direction surface of a cost surface analysis can't be re-created by a
hydrology "drainage" steepest descent algorithm. This was why the -d
flag was added (by me under a different name actually :) to r.cost,
r.walk, and r.drain. It makes sense if you think about the elevation
profile of a drainage algorithm path versus a walking algorithm path,
the first makes an exponential curve while the second should make a
linear path (roughly). You don't want to save up the hardest part of
the hike for the end.

Ideally I would need an algorithm which calculates accumulation from a
direction map only. The cost surface itself is not needed. I was
hoping a suite of hydrology modules would first calculate flow
direction and then a second module would calculate flow accumulation
from the direction. Maybe I'll just have to write an addon module for
it if one doesn't exist.

Cheers,
Colin