[GRASS-user] postgis back-end

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Mon Feb 14 15:05:59 EST 2011

Chris Carleton pisze:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm about to try integrating a large number of disaggregated spatial
> 'databases' (including actual relational dbs and scattered
> spreadsheets) into a single cohesive whole and I'm looking for
> suggestions - both with regard to preferred methods and reading
> material (crash course versions preferably). I was thinking that I
> would use postgis, but I need to know if it will be possible to
> simultaneously use ArcGIS and GRASS (depending on purpose and
> preference) with one postgis back-end so that I don't have to maintain
> two databases in order to keep both GRASS and ArcGIS users up-to-date
> individually. Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Chris

not now about current version of arcGIS, but till version 9.2 there were
no support for open-source solutions like postgreeSQL and postGIS. Only
proprietary back-ends like Oracle Spatial etc. But as I know from
version 9.3 there is extension "data Interoperability" (looks like
warper for GDAL/OGR) so with this solution you can have access to postgis.

The second solution: Oracle Spatial as backend for Arc and link via OGR
to GRASS, but it is only theoretical idea I did not test it.

J.