[GRASS-user] Grass 6.4.0RC6 cannot find wxPython 2.8.1.1.

Pekka Hurskainen pekka.hurskainen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:39:45 EST 2011

Dear list,

I'm a complete beginner with Grass (and python), and I've seem to be stuck
with a probably quite trivial problem.

I'm running Grass ver. 6.4.0RC6-2 on Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic). I've installed
Ubuntu from the repos with Synaptic.

I have also manually installed wxPython 2.8.11.0-0 (package
python-wxversion) following these instructions:
http://wiki.wxpython.org/InstallingOnUbuntuOrDebian

While trying to start grass with "grass -wxpython" command, I get the
following error message:

----- clip ----

Cleaning up temporary files ...
Starting GRASS ...
ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython >= 2.8.1.1. Requested version of wxPython not
found.
Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
Switching to text mode now.
Hit RETURN to continue...

The tcltk gui works fine.

I couldn't find any help in the FAQ or mailing list archives. Maybe some
paths need to be set, but how? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Pekka