[GRASS-user] least cost path between patches

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sun Feb 27 05:02:30 EST 2011

Dear listers,

I am trying to compute and represent the least cost paths between
discrete patches (say distribution areas of a given species included in
a landscape matrix). For training, I use a homogeneous cost surface (the
landscape matrix, 'movecost') and a raster 'monkeygroup' of 12 discrete
patches representing the species areas (1 for pixels on the patch, NULL
out).

r.mapcalc "movecost=1.0"

I can easily get a distance map 'monkeycost' then,

r.cost input=movecost output=monkeycost start_rast=monkeygroup

Now, I would like to find out the shortest track(s) linking each patch
to the others, and here I am stuck. r.drain supposes that one uses one
geographical coordinate as a starting point. However I would like to
link the nearest pixels belonging to each patch via a path that must go
away from one patch, go up to the lowest local maximum and then go down
to the next patch. This supposes that one can identify which pixels
included are the nearest among two patches, and then compute the path...
(hope it is understandable).

Is there any grass module doing the job, or has anybody an idea about a
strategy to get the expected result?

Patrick