[GRASS-user] r.mapcalc questions

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Wed Jun 8 09:13:15 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have some questions concerning the use of r.mapcalc. I have a DEM made
by r.surf.contour using the approach in the wiki (multiplying by
100000)[1]. Now when calculating back the original values I wonder about
the values given by r.info. Calculation is done like so within the
wxpython map calculator: r.mapcalc dtm_surf = dtm_surf.100k / 100000.0

Now r.info tells me:
Data Type:    DCELL
which seems OK, but
Range of data:    min = 130  max = 555
-> shouldn't these be float values after calculation?
and the comments
dtm_surf.100k / 100000
I definitely typed 100000.0! Where're my .0s? A quick visual
verification with r.slope.aspect shows some terracing effects. That lets
me suspect that the conversion to a DEM float raster failed somehow -
but why?

I'm using the osgeo4w build on windows 7 64. GRASS GIS version is 6.4.1
(2011).

Many thanks

Frank

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Contour_lines_to_DEM