[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii: Cannot Close Attribute Table

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 5 10:43:00 EST 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Martin Landa wrote:

> better to avoid dbf at all

   I always assumed this was based on dBASE or, perhaps, BerkeleyDB.

> Set up default DB backend. Newly produced vector data will store it's
> attributes in this backend.

   This is a good time for me to ask about postGIS. I've looked superficially
at it over the years, yet I still have no deep understanding of what it
provides that postgres and grass do not. It seems to me that postGIS, QGIS,
and similar tools are alternatives to postgres + grass. No?

Rich