[GRASS-user] Some thoughts on wxGUI (GRASS Community Sprint)

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:46:11 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/3/7 Carlos Grohmann <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>:

> Also, when it comes to output of modules, we should have only one way
> of doing it. Now some modules provide output in the gis manager window
> (using on of the botom tabs), while others give output in the dialog
> window. I think there should be only one kind of output.In my view, a
> separated output window (like the tk gism) where _all_ output messages
> would go, and one should be able to close without loosing info
> (keeping a 'memory' of the session) or leave it open. I found myself
> frequently trying to close the gism after inspecting some output info,
> just to be reminded of what I was about to do when asked if I want to
> save a workspace file.

commands launched from Layer Manager command line prints their output
to the 'command output' tab. Separately launched modules print their
output to 'command output' tab in the module's GUI dialog. Redirecting
this messages to 'command output' tab in Layer Manager would avoid
running more commands at the same time. One solution would be to add
for every launched command separate tab in Layer Manager's 'command
output' . I am not sure what is better. Anyway creating separate
window is not good solution, the more windows the worse for the user.

> One of the things that annoy me is the 'close dialog on finish'
> option. I guess this was introduced to make GRASS look more like other
> GIS packages, but honestly, it sucks. At leas for me, it is very
> common to repeat the command with different settings, and I usually
> forget to unset that option, being used to old-style GRASS GUI, so I
> kind hate it. We could have a global preferences setting where we
> could choose to 'close dialogs on finish' as default action or not.
> But this would have to work for _all_ modules.
> You can imagine how disappointing it is to run r.stats just to see the
> dialog closing after calculations...

in r45601 I changed default settings to 'unchecked'. Anyway you are
always free to change this settings in Preferences dialog (command
tab).

Martin