[GRASS-user] Re: <d.frontline > Shell script to display frontlines (Alexander Mury)

Alexander Muriy amuriy at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:03:58 EDT 2011

Hello, Hamish. Thank you for your answer.

> I've looked through it and it is quite well done. Could we add
> it to the grass-addons repository?

It would be great, but first I want to correct it a bit.

> * consider moving the temp file creation until after all the
> parsing checks are done, so that they are only generated when
> we know the module is going to run and empty files are not
> left behind.
> * always "quote" filename $VARIABLES, or else the script will
> break on MS Windows where path names commonly have spaces in
> them.

Ok, understand.

> * did you try the geology/strike* symbols before making your own?
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/IconSymbols#New
> were they deficient for some reason? (too long bases for the
> task, or ..?)  [no problem, just like feedback if they could be
> better]

Yes, it was my first attempt, but all "geology/..." symbols have
(you're right) "too long bases for the task". So I decide to make
"front" symbols == "geology" symbols without bases.

> * consider advertising it in the geology + atmospheric science
> field of study sections in the GRASS wiki:
>    http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Applications

Ok.

> * besides left,right, consider a "both" side of line option.

Ok, it's a good idea.

> the problem of line styles is still not completely solved,
> hopefully we can do something with that in grass7, but this has
> been a missing functionality for a long time- so thanks!

In GRASS 7 without good-old monitors I can't realize what to do with
all of this graph modules (some of them are really useful..)
I think it's possible to implement some other line styles in 6.4.*
version with the same method as in d.frontline.

> ps- I just noticed the collection of new symbols by Martin
> Povolny. lots of them, great. :)
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/IconSymbols#More_simple_symbols
Thanks,