[GRASS-user] Installing extension from a local copy of the SVN repo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 02:26:29 EDT 2011

Pierre wrote:
> Does anyone managed to use g.extension with a local copy of the SVN
> repository? I have problems retrieving code from the online repo using
> g.extension (see ticket #1341), but I can make a svn checkout.
> Moreover, that could come handy when a network connection is not
> available.

if you have a local checkout of the grass svn source code, and addons svn,
then there's no real need to use g.extension.

just do:

cd /usr/local/src/grass/svn/grass-addons/display/d.mon
make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/local/src/grass/svn/trunk/

done!

To make this easier, I set up an alias like so:
alias gmake7='make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/local/src/grass/svn/trunk/'

so then I just cd into the wanted addons module dir and run `gmake7`.

note you'll have to do that again after each 'make distclean' of the main
source tree as it installs into the main build dir.

If you have run 'sudo make install' for the build, add the word "install"
to the end of the `make` command (+sudo if needed) to install it too.

see  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Addons

Hamish