[GRASS-user] what are the side effects of working with topologically incorrect lines?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:25:38 EST 2011

I'm studying better the topological scheme assumed by GRASS, which if I'm
not wrong is G1.
I'm doing some basic tests to understand the side effects of working with
not topologically clean entities, like self-intersecting lines.

Original line: http://bit.ly/vfIJiM
Cleaned up line: http://bit.ly/uHKpoT

The unclean line is topologically incorect, right?
Where the not topological version can give us problems, (excluding the
v.netmodules)?

The question raises from the need to understand if I can bypass line
cleaning for various data processing I'm going to do, mainly overlay, data
extraction, profile analysis, etc.

Thanks,
giovanni