Fwd: [GRASS-user] Re: what are the side effects of working with topologically incorrect lines?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:44:34 EST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com>
Date: 2011/11/24
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Re: what are the side effects of working with
topologically incorrect lines?
To: Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>

Hi Markus,
thanks for The link!
I haven't been able to find an official reference of G1 scheme, it was
cited by the tutorials from the unviersity of Trento:

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~zatelli/cartografia_numerica/slides/Vettoriale_GRASS_6.4.pdf
http://www.ing.unitn.it/~zatelli/environmental_data_management/GIS_data_modeling.pdf

Anyway, reading the link you kindly provided me, it seems that GRASS uses a
geometrical model similar to the Simple Feature Spec (from OGC) with the
only topological constraints set on boundaries.
The SFS allows not simple geometries, like self-intersectnig linestrings.
The GRASS programming manual only states:

 - Boundaries should not cross each other (i.e., boundaries which would
cross must be split at their intersection to form distict boundaries).
*Lines can cross each other*, e.g. bridges over rivers.
 - Lines and boundaries share nodes only if their endpoints are identical.
*Lines or boundaries canbe forced to share a common node by snapping them
together*. This is particulary important since nodes are not represented in
the coor file, but only implicitly as endpoints of lines and boundaries.

It never says if lines can self-cross. I suppose that is implicitly means
they can.
It would be good to have a geometrical model description like the JTS
Specs: http://www.vividsolutions.com/JTS/bin/JTS%20Technical%20Specs.pdf

giovanni